Break out the blowtorch to finish off this steak. Inspired by CarolineMiLiArtiss’ “How To Cook The Perfect Steak”
Makes: 1 steak
1 flat iron steak (or more)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons demerara or turbinado sugar
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Brush steak with oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
2. Heat your gas or charcoal grill to high (Here’s how to tell if it’s high: Hold your hand about four inches above the cooking surface. After 2 to 3 seconds, the heat will force you to pull your hand away.)
3. Oil the grill grate, using an oiled rag.
4. Remove steak from marinade and place on the grill. Use these cooking times to cook your steak to medium: 2 to 3 minutes per side for a 1/2-inch thick steak, 4 to 6 minutes per side for a 1-inch thick steak, 6 to 9 minutes per side for a 1 1/2 to 2-inch thick steak.
5. Take the steak off the grill. Let rest 2 to 3 minutes to allow the juices to reabsorb into the steak.
6. Spread a layer of mustard on one side of the steak, then sprinkle sugar over the mustard.
7. Using a kitchen blowtorch, carefully melt the sugar until it is dark brown and bubbly. (You may also place the steak under a broiler for this step.) Serve.