INGREDIENTS: (Makes 12 large biscuits)
21/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for cutting
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening, diced, plus extra for greasing
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
11/2 cups cold buttermilk
2 cups yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
2/3 cup red jalepeno, brunoise
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add the shortening and butter, and toss to coat. Squeeze bits of shortening and butter through your fingers (or use two knives or a pastry blender to cut into the flour) until they are the size of large peas.
3. Mix in Cheddar Cheese and Red Jalepeno.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the buttermilk. Stir with light, quick strokes just until the dough is combined, but do not overwork. The dough will be very sticky.
4. Sprinkle your hands and a work surface liberally with flour, and transfer the dough to the floured surface. Quickly pat the dough to an even 1-inch thickness. Dip a sharp, 2-inch biscuit or cookie cutter into the flour, then cut out the biscuits, reflouring as needed. If necessary, very gently gather any large scraps together, without squeezing the dough, and cut more biscuits. Transfer to a well-greased 9” × 13” baking pan.
5. Bake the biscuits until light golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.